Saturday, May 1, 2010

ABC Garden Tour

Last nite when the rain broke I went for a walk around the yard to record how many plants had made their appearance in April. As I named the files I saw I had "A" through "D" and then a few more!

Asparagus - 2nd year - next year we can eat it and other sprouts that hopefully spring up around it.
Bleeding Heart - Thanks Dad, for this special gift a couple of years ago, in memory of Grandma Eliason who had them around her white farm home in Saskatchewan.
Chokecherry - just about ready to blossom at the entrance to our acreage.
Daffodils are the first flowers to show their pretty faces!
Ferns unfurling their pronds.
Iris, chives and poppies, as well as a few other unknowns.
Lilacs - at least I got a picture. The deer trimed every single bud off last nite :-{
Mayflowers and daisies
Rhubarb and winter onions are some of the first plants to emerge in spring.
I awoke on April 29th to find the Saskatoon (Juneberry) bush covered in blossoms!
I got serious about weed control this year and put down some "plastic mulch" over the strawberries. Recycled lumberyard plastic that they take off of lumber piles works just fine.

I have a friend who likes to garden, but says, "I don't like to weed, so I eat them instead!"
She has a doctorate in naturopathic medicine, so she does know what she's talking about!
It was quite funny this spring as I saw my own attitude toward weeds take a u-turn after attending a talk that she gave at a local garden club on natural herbal detoxification. I have already made up a brew of "organic, homegrown" dandelion and burdock tea! It turns a pretty green color and it quite palatable accompanied by a dab of honey! But I'm still going to pursue plastic mulching as there are plenty of weeds in the wild to eat!
Gen 1:11 And God said, Let the earth bring forth tender sprouts (the herb seeding seed and the fruit tree producing fruit after its kind, whose seed is in itself) upon the earth; and it was so.
Gen 1:12 And the earth brought forth tender sprouts, the herb yielding seed after its kind, and the tree producing fruit after its kind, whose seed was in itself. And God saw that it was good. (MKJV)

The everlasting God Yahweh is the
Creator of the ends of the earth
Isaiah 40:28

 For a fascinating study on the Hebrew meanings of the names of God see Jeff A. Benner's book, "His Name is One"

No comments: